Thursday 23 September 2010

Stenny fan in 'not hating Falkirk' shock

Here’s something you won’t hear very often on this website. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a wave of benevolence, but there is definitely some sense in which I am feeling less antipathy towards Falkirk than usual.

It might have something to do with their being managed by Steven Pressley, or – as I prefer to call him – God. With his inspirational performances down the years for Hearts and Scotland, he was always a player whom it was genuinely difficult not to admire. Perhaps I’m just finding it difficult to mentally process the fact that he truly is managing Falkirk – I confess to being momentarily confused the other night when I saw pictures of him celebrating his current side’s Cup victory over his beloved Jambos.

Another factor may well be that – in the opening weeks of the season – they came up against two sides for whom I reserve greater venom, namely Dunfermline and Stirling Albion. I still bear something of a grudge against Dunfermline after last season’s Cup debacle – put simply, if you break the rules you should be thrown out of the competition, none of this replay nonsense. (I was especially irked by the fact that Jim Leishman fronted their appeal, despite the fact that he had – apparently - been overheard admitting Calum Woods’ ineligibility an hour before the original game.) As for Stirling, on the other hand, they are an intrinsically pointless institution - there is little more to be said.

I suppose the best hope is that Pressley moves on to bigger and better things, Stirling return to their natural habitat in the lower realms of the SFL, and Jim Leishman ceases to be so annoying. Then, perhaps, normal service (i.e. hating Falkirk) will be resumed…

No comments: