Friday 19 December 2008

London calling...

Some considerable time has passed since I last posted: having finished my studies and entered the real world, my time has been occupied by moving to London and starting a new job. As such, the distance of my 'commute' to Ochilview has lengthened once again, though I look forward to attempting it sometime early in the New Year.
Fortunately, however, whilst I have 'gone South,' our league form has done nothing of the sort. The defeat at Berwick was forgiveable, if only because there seems to be an unwritten rule that the supposedly rubbish teams always give us our most difficult games - Elgin in October, anyone? Last week's victory over Albion, of course, put us back on track - though having misread a thread on the Fans' Forum, I must confess to being a tad confused when I saw the teamsheets. I was under the impression that - rather than signing for Albion Rovers - Marc McCusker and Marco Andreoni had signed for us. At least they didn't inspire their new side to victory!
After our clash with the Shire, as ever, I was greatly amused by the highlights on ShireTV. Their commentator's latest wheeze seems to have taken the form of a vendetta against Craig McEwan. First he is accused of 'bodychecking' Shire striker Andy Rodgers, then we are told that the referee's failure to award a penalty against him was 'the moment that changed the game': why the commentator thought it was a penalty is anybody's guess. The incident which led to the sending-off of Shire's Paul Hay, meanwhile, is entirely obscured by a 'convenient' camera angle: one can only assume this was because his guilt would have been clear if his actions had been visible.
However, enough of my ranting: despite my occasional jibes at ShireTV's expense, I am always grateful for the opportunity to watch Warriors highlights online. There was a rumour that our recent match at Cowdenbeath was being filmed, possibly with a view to launching an online highlights service for Stenny supporters: we shall have to wait and see. In the meantime, I will look forward to tomorrow's clash with Forfar. The Loons have three ex-Warriors in their squad (Ally Brown, Graham Gibson and Kevin McLeish), two of whom played a part in our victory over East Fife precisely twelve months ago - arguably our finest result of last season. Here's hoping they don't come back to haunt us...

No comments: