Sunday 20 July 2008

2008/2009 predictions

So, another season is almost upon us. As ever, I am fairly optimistic about our chances. Not sure how long it will last but hopefully a bit longer than last season. We seem to have built a squad of players, all of whom have performed well at this level. In the past we have put our faith in players who are in the twilight of their careers and who have come to Stenhousemuir for their last big pay day (ha!). So while there are no “names” in the squad, it is players familiar to most fans at this level, and who have generally created a good impression at their other clubs ie. their supporters didn’t want them to leave. So how do I think the league will turn out? Based upon what I saw last season and what I have seen and heard during the close season I think there will be one or two clubs in for a shock this season, one way or another. My prediction for the final league placings: 1.Dumbarton - look to have signed some decent players who come with big reputations (OK, I know it doesn’t always work out for the better but…) Throughout their team they have players who most other clubs would happily see playing for them - McEwan, Lennon, Murray and Carcary. It can’t be much worse for them than it was last season but I think they will have a squad and manager capable of getting them promoted. 2.Stenhousemuir - for the reasons above. Will we go up in the play offs? Who knows? 3. Montrose - were decent enough last season and Weir seems to be a good manager. 4. Berwick - they have made some disappointing signings; whether it’s just rubbish (Dillon, McGurk) or players that don’t want to play for them (Lister - that looks like that was a close escape) but McGonigal and Mooney will do OK I think. 5. Cowdenbeath - bit like Forfar, I’m not sure how they will do. Some good signings - Tomana - and some bad ones - McGregor, the little thug who would get sent off every week if he wasn’t suspended most of them. Again, bit like Albion, I don’t know what the future holds for them following the resignation of McDougall as Chairman and the property developers taking over the running of the club. Selfishly, I’m not looking forward to returning to darkest Fife this season - the place just depresses me. 6. Forfar - this is the team I am least confident about. Either they will have a disaster, be mid table, or get a play off spot! I have no idea. Disappointed Ally Brown didn’t end up back with us. 7. The Shire - almost like a proper team now, with proper players and a proper manager. All they need now is somewhere to play. Can’t help but feel they have simply been offered a stay of execution and that they are not long for this world. What do they do when their “sugar daddy” calls it a day? Don’t think they will be any where near good enough for promotion (Hillcoat is hopeless and Cramb will get bored) but I can’t see them finishing bottom. 8. Elgin - as long as Inverness continue to lend to them then they should be good enough to stay off the bottom. 9. Albion Rovers - the new Shire. They are broke by all accounts and their squad looks paper thin. Signing Dumbarton’s rejects from last season can’t fill their fans with confidence. And while there will be the odd gem to be found in the Amatuer ranks, I don’t think a team full of them is the answer. 10. Annan - they haven’t had time to get a strong enough squad together so I think it will be a season of toil for them. It will be interesting to see how the Annan public get behind them especially if they struggle. I still can’t fathom how Spartans didn’t get in. Hey ho. So, Saturday coming brings the start of the new season and while we have to wait a further week before the league starts it will be great to see competitive football again.

No comments: